Ms Kholofelo Kugler joined the ACWL as Counsel in October 2015. She previously worked as a Research Assistant to Professor Markus Krajewski in the area of international economic law at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in Germany and as a Junior Associate at WTI Advisors in Geneva, where she provided trade policy advice on trade in services and technical assistance to developing countries on WTO matters. She also collaborated with development agencies on research on regional integration and Aid for Trade.
Prior to joining WTI Advisors, Ms Kugler worked in private legal practice at Bowman Gilfillan Inc. in Johannesburg, South Africa. She also served in the public sector at the Department of Land Affairs of South Africa, as well as the NEPAD e-Africa Commission, which is now a technical body of the African Union. Previously, Ms Kugler served as an intern at the Embassy of Mexico in South Africa and Quevedo Abogados in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Ms Kugler is South African national. She was called to the bar in her native country in 2013. She holds a Master of Law and Economics (MILE) degree (summa cum laude) from the World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland, an LL.B degree (cum laude) from the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa, together with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics and International Politics from the University of South Africa. She is fluent in English and Northern Sotho (native), has an advanced understanding of Setswana and Sesotho, and a good understanding of Spanish, German, Afrikaans, and Zulu.
To contact Ms Kugler, email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms Kugler’s publications include:
- Kugler, K, “Gabrielle Marceau (ed), A History of Law and Lawyers in the GATT/WTO: The Development of the Rule of Law in the Multilateral Trading System”, Book Review, Journal of International Economic Law, 2017, 20(1), 165-169
- Bohanes, J, Kugler, K & Base, M, “Sealing off Asbestos: The Appellate Body’s interpretation and application of the ‘product characteristics’ criterion within the definition of a ‘technical regulation’ in the TBT Agreement, Global Trade and Customs Journal, 2016, 11(9), 396-405.
- Kugler, K, “Diane Desierto, Public Policy in International Economic Law: The ICESCR in Trade, Finance, and Investment”, Book Review, European Yearbook of International Economic Law 2016, 823-830.
- Kugler, K, “Guarding Foreign Investment in South Africa’s Private Security Sector: The GATS Version”, Latin American Journal of International Trade Law, 2015, 3(2), 312-336.
- Kugler, K., “SA in for a Bumpy Ride Over Changes at WTO”, Business Day (South Africa), 27 March 2015.